In Thing 3, you are invited to reflect on your leadership and find out about your preferred style of leadership.
Open Badge Information
Open Badge: SSSC 23 Things Leadership – Thing 3: My leadership style
Counts towards: SSSC 23 Things Leadership – Leadership Fundamentals
The purpose of reflecting on leadership is to gain a better understanding of yourself (your values, knowledge and skills), so you can learn from your experiences, and adapt and respond to new leadership challenges.
1. Read this document on the purpose of reflecting on leadership.
2. Answer these three reflective questions about leadership in your current role:
- When do you show leadership in your current role? How do you do this?
- Think of a time when you played an important part in changing something for the better. What did you do? What skills did you use?
- Think of the best leader that you’ve ever worked with. What did they do that made them a good leader? How did they make you feel?
3. Complete the questionnaire from Mindtools which will give you an idea of your typical leadership styles.
4. Write at least 200 words that cover your thoughts about the above activities and how you think this will help you to recognise and improve your leadership skills and make a difference to people experiencing your service.
You can provide the statement on the open badge application form or provide a link to your own *blog/portfolio. You may find it helpful to look at Recording Your Learning and Reflecting on Leadership.
*If you want to use a blog or ePortfolio entry as evidence, you might find our guide to preparing and publishing your evidence useful.